Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cairns Day 15

I've been in Cairns just over 2 weeks and just when I thought I'd never find a job, I found a job and yesturday I moved into a house. I'm now living at 461 Draper street which is about a 20 to 30 minute walk from the city but only a 5-10 minute walk to the bus stop so I could go to work which is key. I have a huge room to myself. There's not much in it in terms of furniture but I got a double bed, a little desk where I put some things in, a shelf, a little stand where I have my clothes folded on and a bar sticking out to hang things on a hanger. Yesturday I emptied out my bag and really made my room look like i"m staying for a while. I went to the mal to buy some posters but was disappointed to find out that the poster display was only temporary and moved to another mall far away. In the meantime, I went out last night and got a free sombrero when I bought a corona, so I hung it on a small hook in my room just over my bad. There is also a fan on the ceiling that apperently won't turn off, which could be worse (i.e. a fan that never turned on...).
As for the rest of the house, there are 4 other bedrooms and 5 other people living in the house (1 couple) and they all seem really cool, 2 from England (the couple), 2 guys from New Zealand and a girl from Japan. There is a huge living room with a giant tv and 2 guys just bought a DVD player (theres a deal at a music store where you buy 4 DVD's they give you the player for free!). The kitchen is quite large although there is no stove, just a single burner to cook on but I"m used to it by now for mall the hostels I've lived in. The bathrom is in two room - one with the sink, shower and even a seperate tub - a smal room for the toilet who's walls are painted blue with white clouds and there is a map of the world for decoration. There is a backyard with a patio are for people to smoke or eat etc. and there is even a pool! The pool gets cleaned every 2 weeks and the house gets cleaned every week (vaccuumed, bathroom cleaned, etc.).

The house is owend by a guy, Tim, and his wife Micheline. They used to live in it for many years before turning it into a shared house. It also turns out that this guy I work with, Marcos, used to live there as well adn is good friends with Tim and Micheline. Also, Tim manages the Wool Shed, the famous backpacker bar in the city. He told me if i give him a photo he'll make me up a VIP card for the bar, so thats a kool bonus.

Todays my day off so Im in the city looking to buy a bike to make my trips to the city shorter.

2 comments:

Glen said...

The funny thing is, I think you have more furniture in your room that you've had for a couple of days than I do in my entire apartment, which I've had for a month and a half!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading about all your adventures Budman, keep up the good work!

Maryam :o)